Use of GIS has seen unprecedented growth in the last ten years in the world. With the powerful technology getting cheaper and system memories expanding, meaning that we can handle much bigger sets of data, some say that GIS is in a golden age. It was once the preserve of the cartographer- few outside would have used it or needed it, yet recently GIS has become a core part of modern environmental science, geology, climatology, geography, statisticians and forestry.
Similarly, biostatistics is the application of statistics to a wide range of topics in biology. The science of biostatistics encompasses the design of biological experiments, especially in medicine, forest genetics, agriculture and fishery; the collection, summarization, and analysis of data from those experiments; and the interpretation of, and inference from, the results.
- About the directorate?
The Ethiopia Environment and Forest Research institute was established biometry GIS and database coordination directorate to support the institution research activities. GIS, remote sensing and biometry/biostatics/ application by previews the quality of different satellite images, identifies their applicable areas, through image enhancement, image analysis and eventually prepares thematic maps, biostatical analysis and data interpretation for researchers, customers and through the synergetic application of GIS and biometry. And produced different vector, raster and biostatistics data to the purpose of creating fertile ground to all research activities in the institution.
The directorate using different software analyze landuse land cover change, suitability analysis, converts biostatical data in to user-friendly form and enhance the researchers skill on GIS and biostatics applications to the betterment of achieving reliable research.
The Biometry, GIS and database coordination directorate is tasseled in to two teams, namely:
- GIS, Remote sensing and database division
- Biometry division
Biometry, GIS and database coordination directorate are Summarized as follows.
GIS, Remote sensing and database team
- Produce Land use &Land cover map.
- Organizes climate data and produced one national database
- Produce suitability analysis(Trees and suitable waste disposal site selection)
- Providing Professional support Service on GIS and Remote Sensing.
- Providing GIS Services and create national database in the institution.
- Biometry team
- Biostatical analysis on the biology of forest resources.
- Providing, analyzing and interpreting different data using statistical software’s.
The future research thematic areas planed by the directorate
- Climate change assessment.
- Land use land cover change evaluation.
- Urban pollution mitigation strategies.
Getachew Kebede, A/Director
Biometrics, GIS and Database Coordination